Sunday, July 11, 2021

I feed on freedom ... a Time Traveling Poem

                            I feed on freedom ... a Time Traveling Poem

                                        by Anne Selden Annab

 

I feed on freedom-

wind in my hair freedom

birds sing freedom

flowers bloom freedom...


Freedom from ugliness.

Freedom from anouther's rage

(funny how my own rage

feels so innocuous.)


Freedom from violence,

freedom from cruelty,

freedom from hunger

and joblessness.

Freedom from servitude

and slavery and homelessness.


Freedom from starvation

Freedom from selfishness,

I think... I hope ... Oh and the freedom to think,

and hope,

maybe even say what I think freedom.

Freedom to mourn the removal

of exquisite equine statues

and historic generosity...

Noble gestures once respected

and honored like gravestones

and old bones buried long ago.


Technology changes how we move forward,

from formal carved, upright headstones on

a hillside- to the opposite with countless

totally flat memorial plates, like trap doors

in a mowed expanse of grass lawn dotted by

tight bunches of cut flowers marking here

and there... to wilding now with native flowers

and new forests absorbing urns

that are compost for ashes.

Planned stretches of meadows

with birdhouses,

or meditation grooves

with water features... woods with paths,

living parks to mourn and honor our dead

while we the living still have the freedom

to wander and wonder what if...


                                                    poem copyright ©2021 Anne Selden Annab

No comments:

Post a Comment